Falling into the sick role. A little Ranty-Pants session.

A note before you begin… I wrote this piece as I was sitting with discomfort and frustration; somewhat perplexed with my chronic illness and the general reception I’ve received on occasion. It is not of my usual style – I was angry at the time, but it is a subject I’ve been pondering for a while and I feel that it is important to share. I’m not entirely convinced I’ve managed to project my ideas well… but I will leave it here regardless. After all, I am learning to embrace vulnerability and sometimes it is in the expression of ideas that I feel the most vulnerable.





I’m not sitting comfortably with it.

This is not the first time I’ve succumbed to chronic illness, but this has been the lengthiest of my healing journeys as I’ve attempted to reach… well, I want to say to reach recovery, but I’ve not really got to the point of “recovery” with my last big effort either – probably more like the lengthiest journey to get to the point of living the best me. I’m currently not living my best me, and it is frustrating, disappointing and exhausting.

No, I’m not sitting comfortably at all. You see, I’ve entered into something called “the sick role”.

I remember learning about the sick role in first year undergraduate Sociology, all the way back in 1993. It’s funny how sometimes we learn the theory of something, but it takes a lived experience to really understand it. Talcot Parsons is the name of the American structural-functional sociologist who posited the “sick role” in 1951. It is one of several societal roles that he understood human beings to live within over their lifetime. Structural-functional sociologists theorise that society functions within a network of accepted roles which each of us play out in order for us to live functionally and harmoniously. Anyone non-conforming to expected roles is considered deviant from the norm. A deviant in society.

Parsons describes the sick person as essentially no longer performing a functional role in society (temporary or otherwise), and therefore is conditionally but acceptably deviant from the norm. This deviance is considered acceptable because the change in role comes with two inherent rights, and two responsibilities that the person entering the role of the sick person is conditioned with. These are: the right to be exempt from normal social roles; the right to be deemed not responsible for their condition; the obligation to try and get well; the obligation to seek technically competent help and cooperate with medical professionals.

Those of you who know me well, will have already made assumptions (probably correctly) about where this piece is headed. Revisiting the sick role from within, all these years later, here I stand: the hackles on the back of my neck rising, my breath drawing more and more short, my fists tensing, my stance tall and strong and I am poised like a wildling ready to fight. Dr Parsons: I take issue with your sick role theory. I am not entirely convinced that it’s deviance is accepted by society at all.

Firstly, that the sick possess the right to be exempt from normative social roles, and the right to not be held responsible for the illness. The right to be exempt from our role as an employee? The role of a parent? The role of a spouse? Just for example. Really? I mean, I get it – we can take limited time off from our role as an employee (sick leave), most of us get ten days a year here in Australia. But how many of us have been afraid to “call in sick” for fear of repercussion? What happens when we use up our ten days? How many have lost their jobs or been disciplined for an extended time away from work due to illness, or medically retired? All of these employer sanctioned actions hardly suggest that the employee is not responsible for their state of health. Our obligation to our role as an employee frequently overrides our obligation to the sick role. We can politely decline a social gathering with the excuse of being unwell. How many times can you politely decline an invitation and continue to be invited? And what about other societal roles? How many parents can take time off from their parental role?

Arguably, it may be that it is our own conscience that renders us unable to take time out – I have previously discussed at length the difficulties some of us face when trying to say no. But the expectations we place on ourselves are usually forged by society as a whole; especially in a world where we value exhaustion and being busy as signs of success. When entering the sick role conflicts with the expectations of the other roles we play, the deviance of the sick role is no longer acceptable… employers pressure us to return to duty before we are well enough, and you bet they are judging us as a bad employee when we are unable. When our sick role conflicts with our role as a parent, you bet we are judged as a bad parent by other parents. And so on for our other roles.

On the subject of not holding people responsible for their illness? What about disease and conditions born of poverty? Of violence? Of addiction? I’m not convinced that society as a whole is accepting of these types of illnesses. Over and over I’ve heard or read the rhetoric: they didn’t work hard enough; she should have left; it’s his own fault for taking the drugs in the first place. Dr Parsons, our society hardly respects the rights of the sick. Yet, it seems that it is still expected that the obligations of the sick role are upheld.

You know what I think my main issue with the Parsonian sick role might be? It might be that in accepting the sick role as truth, the assumption is made that those in the sick role are there voluntarily. I would argue that it is rare – and it is certainly the case in my experience – that someone chooses illness voluntarily. It is inherently problematic to view those within the sick role as being there voluntarily when assumptions are made about their ability to fulfill the obligations of trying to get well and to follow medical advice. Sometimes the chronically ill just can’t keep it up. Sometimes the sick role becomes overwhelming, with all the rights and obligations blanketing over our heads like an eternal black smog which chokes us with every effort we make. And then the rhetoric again: you’re not trying hard enough; you just have to push through it. The notion that the sick are obliged to try to get well: isn’t this just another version of victim blaming? Doesn’t this contradict the right to not be held responsible for the illness? I’m not perfect – I know I’ve judged others, commenting out of frustration at a client who “won’t even help themselves”.

Accepting the existence of the sick role as truth also assumes that the medical profession knows best and are able and willing to help. While those in the sick role are obliged to seek out and follow advice from an authority on wellness (doctors), that authority doesn’t always seem to be obliged to listen to or help someone in the sick role. I recently tried to seek help… it took me four doctors and a 3234km flight at great expense to find a practitioner who would even listen to me, who would believe me. Is it any wonder I am a “sick role as an accepted deviance” skeptic? Is the doctor then the gatekeeper of the sick role? The one who decides on the validity of a sick claim? Or is it society as a whole?

I’ve been placed into the sick role; and it’s not voluntary. I’ve been placed in that role by others. I’ve been denied it’s legitimacy by some. I’ve resisted it myself. And loved ones have tried to support me in it as best as they can. Being exempt from normal social roles without your consent is somewhat damaging to our psyche, especially when that exemption is inconsistent. It wears at our self esteem. But it also teaches us many lessons, especially about the true nature of our peers. I’ve seen those who are not accepting of the legitimacy of the sick role pull away, my relationship with some changing as my usefulness to them has altered. I’ve had medical professionals dismiss my pain and distress. I’ve been forced back into other roles before I was ready, because my obligation as a sick role participant is to follow the advice of the medical professional: even when he is wrong.

Putting people into boxes with labels they should conform to - it doesn’t work, and it’s not comfortable for anybody. But if we’re going to do it, shouldn’t we at least do so consistently? 

References and Reading List


NOTE: The opinions and ideas expressed in this and other posts on Around Arthur's Table are the intellectual property of the Author, unless otherwise stated. Any ideas outside of the Author's own are referenced accordingly. If you wish to use or refer to words and ideas expressed here, please reference and link back to Around Arthur's Table. All photographs used are also the intellectual property of the author, unless otherwise stated - if you wish to use these, please contact the Author for permission.

 

Comments