Pushing off on the swing.




I didn’t wake up yesterday and think “I’m going to publish a blog today”. I hadn’t planned it really. It is true that I have been pondering something for a long time, there has been something niggling in the background for a while. But I didn’t have a name for it and I certainly didn’t know what it was.

I’ve had a lot of unplanned time away from my paid gig, because I physically cannot do it at the moment. I’ve been battling illness, and that journey alone has forced me to examine my values and really take a long hard look at what I want in life; what kind of life fulfils me; what I need so that I can live a wholehearted life.

I realised that I am really really unhappy with how things have been working out. There has to be something more.

I’ve always enjoyed writing. I’m a terrible speller and my grammar could use some work. I don’t claim to be great at it: I’m ok though. The niggle has always been there. Many times over the last few years I’ve thought I could fill a book with my experiences, but then that raw, uncomfortable place beckons me… who would want to read it? I’m sure it’s been done before. My experiences are actually boring. I’d never finish it. What would everyone think?

Let’s revisit that last line: what would everyone think?

I’m 43. I should have a nice house. I should have a nice car. I should not be spending time and money on folly. I shouldn’t take risks. Be sensible. Safety first. Keep your head down, don’t put yourself out there. What if you fail? I like to call these thoughts the “shoulds”. Stepping outside of those societal expectations of “shoulds” drags me into that raw, uncomfortable place again.

No one likes feeling uncomfortable. Human beings intuitively seek comfort, and comfort often lies in the familiar: in the “normal”. Feeling uncomfortable is an invisible barrier that stops us exploring those gentle niggles.

Vulnerability wins.

Throughout the last few months I’ve been doing a lot of internal searching, trying to find what it is that has been niggling me. Trying to find what it is that makes me, well, authentically me. Throughout all the reading, listening, talking, watching and questioning there seems to be a theme emerging: that vulnerability is where the magic happens.

So that’s how this came about. To live my true me, to become my authentic self, I need to tackle that raw uncomfortable place we call vulnerability. I need to jump, with two feet, push off on the swing. So I will write, no matter how uncomfortable I feel. I will write, no matter how much my fingers shake or sweat on the keyboard. I will write, no matter how red my face goes when someone recognises me as the person who wrote down what they were thinking. I will write, no matter how much it makes my gut churn. Because who doesn’t need a little magic in their life?

After the blog went live yesterday, I text my husband and told him how gut wrenchingly nervous putting myself out there was making me feel, how vulnerability probably wasn’t a great place for me after all… I’ll leave you with his reply:

Are you wearing pants? If you’re wearing pants, it’s probably fine”.

Comments

  1. I think I've been quietly following your life via the internet for about 10 or so years now and I've always loved reading what you have to say. So I'm really happy that you've decided to do this.

    Your life has very few parallels to mine but the ones that are there have made me feel connected to you and your family in a way that I think I've never allowed people to feel connected to me. I recently decided to try and share a little more with my online village. It's been a slow start but you are inspiring me to try harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said Bec. I can't wait to see your next blog. You are inspiring and speak with such truth.
      I'm excited to see your blog evolve and grow like I know that it will.
      PS... Please don't rule out writing a book. You have the knack of pulling an audience in to listen to your view on life.... no sugar coating in your voice and we love it.

      Vanessa x

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the kind words Jarita and Vanessa. Feeling so vulnerable means I need all the encouragement I can get. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think to put yourself our there and feel vulnerable is a beautiful thing. In a world full of judgement & hypocrisy, with 'keyboard warriors' around every corner, you still chose to take THIS path. A path that is less trodden, one that is not so predictable and one that scares the hell out of you. But, the one you hope will lead you to an answer. An answer of something more, something better. And for that alone, you are braver then you think, braver then half the people I know (myself included). So I say "YOU GO GIRL! ,Grit your teeth, hold on tight and embrace all that comes along with the ride you have ahead".

    Now I am going to put myself out there for a very brief vulnerable moment...I know we don't really know each other and our encounter was one of a professional manner, but it is one that has really stuck with me. I can't really explain why, but it has. I think, in life we have many encounters with people. Some good, some bad, some momentary and others that last a lifetime. And sometimes, we have these encounters, however brief, that for whatever reason just 'stick'. These certain people that have a lasting impact on us. So, I don't know why, I don't know if it is because you helped bring my baby boy into this world, because you did it in a way I hadn't experienced before, that you made me feel like a person and not just another number, your infectious personality, your confidence, your energy or your straight forward approach. But I do know, for whatever reason, you have 'stuck' (feeling very vulnerable about now). So, I shall continue to stalk (I mean read) your blog (unless you now think I am some weirdo and block me haha) feeling confident that I will find inspiration in your words. Knowing that you CAN do this and that your audience will grow and hang off every word just as I am.
    -end vulnerability-

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thank you.

      It is very special, that thing I do "professionally". And because it is a professional relationship and connection, it is not often we hear how each woman in our care lived the experience of that connection. It is a partnership we form with women and their families; through potentially one of the most vulnerable times in their lives. To hear that the impression I left with you through that partnership was one that was somewhat special, is an extraordinary gift for you to give... even through your vulnerability.

      You see? Vulnerability IS where the magic happens. Hug that wee boy for me. XX

      Delete
  3. Packers and Movers in Delhi - The Air cargo Packers & Logistics was incorporated to offer remarkable services to its reputable clients. Capitalizing on our experience and expertise in the field of packaging and unloading , we are providing our specialized services across India and that's why you will face no problem with our services.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are following along I would love to hear from you. Put that vulnerability aside and let rip! ;-)