My hobby: collecting Autoimmune Diseases.

I took the step to reignite Around Arthur’s Table because I recognised that it was time to make some changes in my life, due in part to my need for better health – both mentally, physically, and spiritually (for those who were not aware, this space was a crafting and lifestyle blog a few years ago which is how I discovered my love of writing). Whether or not I’m skilled enough as a writer is irrelevant to me: the creative outlet is somewhat soothing, and most definitely therapeutic; and if someone enjoys reading along then all the better. Recognising the need for change came about partially because I had just been diagnosed with my third Autoimmune Disease: a metaphorical smack to the side of the head from the universe to let me know that I could not continue to ignore the more subtle hints that had been swung my way for the last four years or so. Major lifestyle change is due.

What is Autoimmune Disease? Basically, the dumbed down version of this answer is that Autoimmune Disease is the title given to a group of illnesses that are believed to be caused by our own immune system attacking itself. The job of the immune system is to detect and eliminate harmful pathogens within the body (eg bacteria or viruses), thereby keeping us healthy. However in people with Autoimmune Disease – for what ever reason, and we still don’t really know why – our bodies detect some of our own cells as foreign, and begin to wage their war on our own body systems.

Around 1:20 Australians experience Autoimmune Disease, with women making up the larger portion of sufferers. You’ve probably heard of some and not even realised they were Autoimmune in origin: Type 1 Diabetes; Coeliac Disease; Multiple Sclerosis; Lupus; Rheumatoid Arthritis to name a few (there are more than 80 which we know about). My collection includes (in order of appearance): Psoriasis; Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis; and Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

Science has not yet come up with any solid evidence to prove exactly what it is that causes an individual’s body to start attacking itself. Generic theories are generally based around the presence of a genetic predisposition which is then triggered by an infection, stress, some medications, dietary issues, lifestyle or even UV light. There is also increasing evidence surrounding the impact of an unhealthy gut microbiome on the development of Autoimmune Disease. Alternate theories surround the impact of vaccinations on the development of Autoimmune Disease (although I do feel obliged to mention here that at the time of writing, there is a lack of available reliable scientific evidence to support this theory – of course a lack of evidence does not mean the theory does not hold some merit). As to which caused what in an individual, we are somewhat in the dark. What science does know is that once you have one Autoimmune Disease, the likelihood of that individual developing more increases. Hence the little collection I have going on. 

 


Me? I have a definite genetic predisposition, with autoimmune issues running throughout my maternal family tree. I also test positive to the presence of Epstein-Bar Virus (Glandular Fever) which has been implicated in the development of multiple Autoimmune Diseases. Funny, I don’t ever recall having the infection, but it’s there in my bloodwork.

However, it is the impact of excessive stress that I feel has been the biggest causative factor in my own Autoimmune journey. As I mentioned above, I have three Autoimmune diseases. On reflection, each has presented itself following three separate periods of particularly lengthy and intense stress and trauma. The pattern is obvious. Three times the universe has tried to send me little signals that things needed to change (in the form of stressful situations) and then when I didn’t listen: three times she has had to smack me up the side of the head to get me to do just that! Unfortunately for me, Autoimmune Disease tends to be lifelong and without cure. Bummer. 

Wouldn’t you think I would have learned, if not the first time at least the second?

And so here I am. Attempting to harness my creativity in an effort to make the changes I need to improve my physical, emotional and spiritual health. Thanks for following my journey. For those who are interested, in the coming weeks I’ll have a chat about the story surrounding each Autoimmune Disease in my little collection. 



 References and Reading List:

Health Direct: An Overview of Autoimmune Diseases 
Australian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy: Autoimmune Disease   
The conversation: Explainer, What are Autoimmune Diseases?  
Garvan Institute of Medical Research: A trigger that likely unleashes Autoimmune Disease 
Medline Plus: Autoimmune Diseases 

NOTE: The opinions and ideas expressed in this and other posts on Around Arthur's Table are the intellectual property of the Author, unless otherwise stated. Any ideas outside of the Author's own are referenced accordingly. If you wish to use or refer to words and ideas expressed here, please reference and link back to Around Arthur's Table. All photographs used are also the intellectual property of the author, unless otherwise stated - if you wish to use these, please contact the Author for permission.


Comments

  1. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During my time I was diagnosed of Herpes and HIV/Aids I was advised not to speak to certain people about my Health “orthodox side” because they’re all lying shills and sociopaths or not take seriously scientific information on HIV because according to the denialists it’s all propaganda from the “AIDS establishment”. I decided to do some search, Rethinking AIDS and Herpes denialism in general, it caused a wave of attacks against Herbal Medicine and medicated drugs, anger, disbelief and insults with some members even alluding to the fact that I was the leader of Rethinking AIDS at the time. Of course I wasn’t and I always reminded them that I was and independent even if I was positive of those diseases. I come across a search on how Dr Itua cure people suffering from, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Hepatitis, Cancer, Epilepsy,Copd,Parkinson,Ledder Diseases, then I decided to give a try although i have had a lot of stories about Nigeria scam so I was scared of it at first then I had a second thought telling me to give a try so i finally order for it and it was sent to me through courier service and I take it for two weeks and I was healed, I still find it difficult today to be real I'm living for a year now without outbreak or taking ARV Drugs, I'm supporting Dr Itua Herbal Center and also promoting his herbal medicine online for people suffering from any kind of disease to contact him on Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number On...+2348149277967. At this point of view regarding HIV/AIDS, HERPES, GENITALS, WART, COLD SORE. You can say I was very involved with the movement; I spoke on radio shows about Dr Itua, filmed my own YouTube videos, wrote my own articles about Dr Itua and attempted to inform every person I could about this information. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you are following along I would love to hear from you. Put that vulnerability aside and let rip! ;-)