On people pleasing...

"Just imagine how much better your life would be
if you could say no to things you really don't give a fuck about
and have more time, energy and money to say yes
to the things you do"
Sarah Knight.


Seems a funny quote to start with, but it is real, and it is true. Imagine a life free of the stress of awkward obligation. Imagine what you could give to yourself and your family, if you weren't "obliged" to work that overtime, go for that drink, attend that function you didn't really want to. Imagine...

As I began the research for this piece, I soon found myself staring at the computer feeling as though I had just been given a hypothetical slap to the face. A wake up call if you will. I was reading lists and lists of characteristics of people pleasers. But what I was really reading, were descriptions of me. The realisation sank in deeply: for as long as I can remember I have been a people pleaser.

What does this look like for me? Well, I say yes when I’d rather not or even if it is inconvenient or it means sacrificing something else that is important to me. I apologise when I don’t need to, when I have done nothing wrong, or for merely proclaiming my opinion. I go to great lengths to avoid conflict, in fact conflict is excruciating for me. I need everyone around me to be happy. The thought that not everyone likes me renders me nauseous.

Does any of this sound familiar? If so, welcome, my people pleasing comrade. We can get through this together.

This is not something I do, nor have I ever done consciously. It is only something I have become aware of recently, as I began this journey into vulnerability. I don’t even recall when it began for me. I’m sure that some people pleasers can pinpoint a significant event that “turned” them into people pleasersI’ve heard countless stories of survivors of domestic abuse in childhood, or children who have suffered parental neglect; needing to maintain the status quo around them long after they have left the abusive situation. But this did not happen to me. I had a supportive and happy childhood. Yes, I suffered an emotionally abusive relationship as a late teen and young adult, and I suffered assault daily at the hands of a group of male students on the school bus as a younger teen (yes, #metoo). But long before then the behaviour was ingrained into my being; for I didn’t tell anyone. I didn’t ask for help because the shame and vulnerability that these incidents caused me to feel was too much for me to bear. I maintained the facade that all was well to all around me. I would fake the occasional illness to avoid the school bus when I needed a break from the intolerable abuse, and when I was older I continued to chase after a boy who did not deserve me and allowed him to use me and my body at his will. This is how I know I was already a people pleaser long before these incidents happened: the behaviour was automatic, my willingness to allow it to continue left unchallenged.

Perhaps it was mirrored to me as a child? Perhaps it was a learned behaviour from some other source. Perhaps I will never know. I wonder thougham I raising a daughter who will model herself on me and continue the pattern? This thought terrifies me more than the vulnerability of admitting my need to please ever could.

Why do we do it? On reflection, I feel that I did so out of a need for external validation of my own worth, rather than turning inward and trusting my own experience, intuition, and self love. It manifested in a fear of rejection and a fear of being disliked, born from not loving myself first. I did so because the thought of being vulnerable was terrifying to me.

The consequence? The result is a personal sacrifice which saw me time and time again persuaded into situations that didnt sit right with my values. It saw me constantly and easily manipulated by others. It compromised my personal integrity. People pleasing caused me to lose touch with who I am and what is important to me: I lost touch with my creativeness; I lost touch with my ability to nurture my family; I lost touch with my values. I could relay personal story upon personal story here to prove my point, but it’s not necessary. I will never heal if I cannot learn the value of forgiveness.

Is it possible to live a wholehearted life if you are constantly striving for the approval of others and seeking external validation for your own worth? No.  

No. More.

For me, and for my wee girl who watches and learns from the sidelines of my life each and every day: I will people please no more.

I will pause long enough to recognise that I don’t want to say yes (mindfulness), I will learn the art of a polite “no thank you”.

I will unlearn the need for external validation (kindness to self).

I will recognise that I am deserving of my own love first, just as everyone else is entitled to love themselves first (common humanity).

I will set aside the discomfort that impending conflict brings, and embrace my vulnerability in that moment, because my opinion matters.

Please, to all my fellow people pleasers: do what YOU do; be who YOU are; like what YOU like; and just be enough for YOU.



Follow Around Arthur’s Table in the menu to the right, so you don’t miss the followup: Saying No. 
 
 
Reading and Viewing List - wanna see where I got the ideas I'm banging on about? Look here. You might even learn something! Click on each dot point to go to the relevant site.   


NOTE: The opinions and ideas expressed in this and other posts on Around Arthur's Table are the intellectual property of the Author, unless otherwise stated. Any ideas outside of the Author's own are referenced accordingly. If you wish to use or refer to words and ideas expressed here, please reference and link back to Around Arthur's Table. All photographs used are also the intellectual property of the author, unless otherwise stated - if you wish to use these, please contact the Author for permission.

Comments

  1. Perhaps it is a deeper and wider issue, Bec. Societal expectations of women? (In SOOOO many forms.) Perhaps you are a "victim" of those societal expectations without realising the influence that began right from the time you were born...
    What do you think?
    :-)
    Mich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have added... What other people think of me is their business, not mine and I am not a typical people pleaser - as you would remember. Typically I don't care. However, I too want to please people so that they love me. Which I think makes a fracture in my soul... a vulnerability that I am uncomfortable with - that others have that power over me...
      scary...

      Delete
    2. You know Mich, I think you're on to something here (and no, I'm not agreeing with you just to make you happy! ha!). After I posted I actually had a thought that perhaps gender roles had something to do with this. From my reading, it isn't a problem unique to women as such, however I'd would wager a bet that this is a far far far more common trait in our sisters than our brothers! I am so filled with gratitude that I have strong women in my life who are role modelling the strength to love themselves first.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you are following along I would love to hear from you. Put that vulnerability aside and let rip! ;-)